.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a goat-fish.

October 12, 2008

to disenfranchise or not?


...i am truly struggling with the decision to register or not. Here's the thing; because I am opposed to our form of representational democracy I feel it is absolutely hypocritical to elect any representative. This is especially pertinent to the election of a president. I abhor the farcical institution known as the electoral college! Besides, Obama will win my county by at least 75%.

I'm on the fence because there are propositions I may feel strongly about. Just started looking into them. Someone recently told me though that if I turn in a partial ballot the whole ballot will be rejected. I will check with my mother on this issue. She helps to organize a polling site in my hometown.

Damn my high-fallutin ideals!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Partial ballots are not a problem, at least in California. States handle things differently, so your mom's answer might not apply to you. Register, and fast! The deadline is October 20th. Prop. 8 is currently winning, by the way, which sucks.

And I would argue that even if you don't favor representative democracy, you should still try to influence the outcomes of those races as well. Voting doesn't preclude you from additional activism aimed at changing the system. An analogy: someone opposed to pesticide use shouldn't starve himself to death if there is no organic food available. Live to fight another day!

7:22:00 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I don't think ballots are disregarded ANYWHERE for being incomplete. You can take that ballot and vote for any one thing or everything. That's your right as a voter. Git it done brother! I agree with David entirely.

7:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home