.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a goat-fish.

May 14, 2010

The Legend Grows

My two favorite ball players all-time, well, one is dead, has a cryogenicly frozen head and I never saw him play. The other is living the freakin' dream.

Thank you Ted Williams for being a right-handed, lefty hitter (like me) and leaving behind a manual for how to belt 'em (The Science of Hitting...a highly recommended read and one I even share with the little spirits.)

Eric Byrnes hasn't written a book yet but the fun chapters are in the works. This month he was released from his club (The Mariners) after going 3-32 in plate appearances (perhaps he should study the Science of Hitting.) The night before his release the press waited for him after he had bothched a suicide squeeze play (no cyrogenics though.) Instead of attending to the squawking monkey machine Byrnes chose to hop on his beach cruiser, in the club house, and he proceeded to ride his bike right past the nonsense. At the end of the hallway stood his GM waiting for what could only be a semi-public lambasting. No need to take it like a man if you're on a cruiser though. Byrnes spun his bike 90 degress and down the exit ramp into the cold wet Seattle night.

That was Eric Byrnes last night in the majors. He returned the next morning for his dismissal.

If you don't know anything else about Eric Byrnes this must all just seem sad and strange. After 11 years in the leagues though Eric had posted a career of high high's and low low's. What no one can debate though is #22's electric work ethic. A perennial fan favorite, Byrnsie's made habit of sprinting into position (at left field) when his team took the field. His energy and fire was relentless and magnetic. Every play he seized as a moment to capture. Eric Byrnes was absolutely intense! In the club house he was a magic kind of guy that kept the whole thing together....more of a spirit than a man.

In recent times Eric was re-signed to a $30 million contract for which $11 million will be paid this year. It's guaranteed money. So what did Byrnes do after leaving Seattle? The newlywed and father of an 8 month old came home. In the daytime you'll find him caring for his young family, golfing and surfing all around the Bay....and at night Byrnes has rejoined the childhood friends he started his career with as the newest member of the 'Dutch Goose' slowpitch softball team in Menlo Park....doing what he has always loved.

When Eric Byrnes played pro ball I always wanted to be him. I try to conjure that spirit when I sprint out to left field and I constantly seek to be a positive spirit no matter how far we fall behind. Byrnesie is living the magical life and laughing. I kinda am too. He gets paid a little more than me...but I am too.

Thanks for the memories #22...I'll miss your rollercoaster but I will remember how you rode it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Monica said...

Wow! I didn't know he is done. Still my favorite player and I still have my autographed t-shirt I earned by sprinting through the coliseum :c). I will miss seeing his intensity and magic. What an awesome player! Thanks for sharing Robby.

11:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home