.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a goat-fish.

April 12, 2007

good reads

While on break I did eat up two great ones....two cautionary tales:


Bringing Down The House
is a story about a posse of MIT-educated Thorpeites who team together to drain the coffers of the Vegas blackjack pits. It's the adventure story about the team's rise and fall and rebirth. Very entertaining if you enjoy the dichotomy of a great heist....although everything these kids did was just plain legal....and absolutely brilliant!


In Search of Captain Zero is the surf and travel journeying of a man and his dog as his man decides to forgo his citizenship in search of paradise and a lost friend. I will leave it at that because this book is going straight to Dubro and I don't want to give up a thing. I will say that this is the most cerebral surf book you may ever read. A dictionary will be a good companion piece....believe it!

2 Comments:

Blogger turbonephew said...

hmm, driving a truck like that with a dog sounds a lot like steinbeck's travels with charlie. one of my favorites.

I loved every minute of that MIT jag. I wish I was as smart as those motherfathers.

And I saw that altamonte thing. It disturbed me to the core. Why did they bring pool cues? there was no pool tables. I saw the actual footage of the guy shooting someone. Like faces of death shit man. I think you need "the secret".

8:35:00 PM  
Blogger turbonephew said...

and about the stones...


I also have a Stones renassaince going on in my life.
and
there is a shitload of drama that surrounds their best years.
I really try to ignore all that. I even ignore the subject matter in "Dead Flowers". And I listen to that song at least daily.
It's a fun country song.
I've realized that if it's a groovy tune that I can bug out to, I try especially hard not to listen to the lyrics, cuz it always deters me from enjoying the music.

8:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home