.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a goat-fish.

March 14, 2007

Exit Strategy


Read the news today oh boy!

Analog TVs will no longer receive a signal come Feb. 19, 2009, unless users update their hardware to receive a digital signal.

In February 2009 my rabbit-ear reliant television will become obsolete.....upon hearing this news I first experienced shock and then I spiraled into anger but then I started thinking about it. I started thinking about it as an opportunity for me.

Back in the mid-90's I lived without tv for quite sometime. It was an exercise to fight my TV addiction. I was happy sometimes. I listened to way too much AM radio though. I caught myself wanting to go to my friends houses just to watch their tvs. Finally I broke down and went to circuit city and bought a handheld model and with it I was very happy. But everyone laughed at me and thought I was silly for watching a two inch television so one day KB gave me his television/VCR machine. I was happier because I could play video games.

Recently BSA came down and he was frustrated about playing videogames on such a little television so he bought me a bigger one and I didn't feel right about it but now it's there and part of me....part of my life.

I've realized in 2007 that it's no longer necessary to watch television to see your favorite shows because now they all come out on DVD....without commercials. I also think tv technology will demand a more pay-per-view format in the near future meaning you will simply buy the channels and shows you want to watch. Maybe that's why it is imperative for tv's to have the digital components. I'm sure Itunes will sell all the tv you wish before too long.

Could just break down and get cable but that would be very unhealthy for someone like me. I have no problem finding something interesting to watch on cable television. Therefore, I could technically spend the rest of my life watching it while being perfectly content. I use the rabbit ears as a tool to save me from myself.

Oh yeah, opportunity.

There's still time for me to be ready. How about on 2/19/09 I wake up in the morning, my final morning in America, and I ride my beach cruiser down to the harbor where my sailboat is stocked and ready....ready for the rest of my life. How about that day is my bonvoyage. I will no longer watch tv and I will only live my life from there on. I will sail to New Zealand first and try and stop at every island I can along the way....and after that I don't even know.

I could be ready by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home