.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a goat-fish.

January 11, 2006

Doing Her Part



This will be a reoccuring piece highlighting those working hard toward keeping Santa Cruz weird.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 Santa Cruz Sentinel Opinion Section p. A11

Seagulls are like kids
Children love to, and can't resist, stepping in mud puddles, or if there is snow, they love to make angels in the snow. It's a must, I think, and fun.
Young men and women (of all ages) can't wait for the surf to show up, and they are fascinating to watch out there.
But there's another group out there who are an absolute delight to watch, and those are seagulls. They surf, but not in the water; they ride the air currents. They make me think of children jumping in mud puddles or making angels in the snow, or surfers in the ocean. Watch them soar on an air current, twist and catch another one. Whee!
Everything stops for them while they take time to enjoy surfing in the air. How wonderful to stand and share their experience.
Helen Fox
Santa Cruz

2 Comments:

Blogger turbonephew said...

Amen to that brotha.

I fucking hate seagulls.

It's really nice to see homage to the wierdness of SC. I'm doing my part and I ain't even there.

Is that little girl about to get mauled? I saw alfred hitchcock's 'birds'. I know what those fuckers can do.

TRUST NO SEAGULL. They will eat your lunch. And your young.

9:19:00 AM  
Blogger el Craplastico said...

Although the seagull looks ready for war, that girl is about to be carried off to a wonderful land where seagulls surf and glide through the air currents....where there are so many crumbs there's no need to fight...no need to peck at one anothers' eyeballs. A land so special that the girl's parents might wave goodbye with glee knowing their daughter will travel to a better, kinder, gentler place only known to humans as seagulltopia.

11:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home