.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a goat-fish.

February 27, 2010

People of the Games

It's getting close to the final fanfare, where the endearing stars of the past couple weeks become simple champions of their obscure sports. I have my favorites but I must say that my faves have been limited to those featured on NBC primetime because Laura Anne is absolutely right, I needed cable to truly appreciate this Olympiad. Damn, I saw about 3 minutes of curling!

How could you not enjoy Askel and Bjorn Svindal? Askel is just simply bad-ass and has what might be the greatest name in the history of nomenclature!...Askel Lund Svindal...yeah, born to win! And Bjorn...the only father who might have as much intensity as Bjorn is Yuki Ohno (maybe). When his son placed silver in an Alpine event they panned to Bjorn and he looked as if someone had kicked him in the balls, tore his heart out for dessert and fed it to Bode Miller. Total Devastation! I LOVE THE PASSION!!!!

Hannah Teter and crew...wow! These chicks are cool, way too cool. Almost too cool for the games itself! I'm almost certain Bleiler and Teeter had ingested hallucinogenic mushrooms before the big halfpipe event. I think you are allowed to do that in halfpipe. In fact, maybe you are required. Singing, dancing, laughter and smiles after botched runs.....these girls are cool, it's all good! I LOVE THE HALLUCINOGENIC SPIRIT!!!!!
(I must admit I was quite annoyed however when they were allowed to slide out of the gate and stop to sit, think, and stew. Screw that! Turn up the ipod and just bomb it ladies.)

Yeah, that's right, Mary Carillo! Whether she's pounding brew with lumberjacks or rolling around the icy tundra with blind sled dogs, I just can't get enough!! I need more Mary Carillo in my life. They should give to her an entire cable network and call it the Mary Carillo Channel. I would then have to get cable and adjust my entire day around watching her fascinating human interest segments. More Mary Carillo I say!!!

Vonn...ick, Mancuso...please! Forget these drama queens. Babe of the Mountain honors easily go to the Slovenian superhottie! MMMM Tina Maze, I think I'm in love! Or at least superhottie lust! It always happens during an Olympics and I suppose it's a significant part of the magic. C'mon now, admit it! You know what I'm talking about!!

In Norway they call Petter Northug, "The Wolf" I say he looks the part. Had only one chance to see him in a relay race (the 4X10K) where he carried the anchor leg. By the time he was tagged team Norway was almost 40 seconds out of the lead, from what I understand this is an insurmountable distance in this event. Over the next 6 miles he rallied and in dramatic fashion he somehow, someway claimed silver. Had he been given another kilometer he would have won for certain. This guy is a titan in a sport of cardio-kings! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE TENACITY!!

Now I only saw this guy they call, "Baby Huey" long enough for him to be identified but he left a lasting impression. Pete Lavin's function at the games was to, "motivate the US alpine skiers". From what I gather, he accomplishes this goal by shouting with loud authority at ski stars as they brace for another death-cheating run down impossible slopes. I'm guessing that being drunk is an important function of, "The Motivator" role but this wasn't clarified.
check it out yourself http://www.mefeedia.com/news/28923745

Of course, sometimes the real story is the story behind the story. It was simply amazing how Shaun White dominated his event. Seemed like there was little to no real competition...and that's half true. Kevin Pearce, the man who was to challenge The Flying Tomato for gold, landed on his neck while attempting a Double Cork in a training run last month. Miraculously he has been discharged from intensive care and is beginning his long road of rehabilitation. Whether he's able to ever walk or compete again is still a mystery of the stars and his will. White made it all look academic but Pearce makes it look real. Now you know!

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Haha! I totally agree about the US female snowboarders! From competition to interviews they appeared to me to be stoned out of their minds -- ESPECIALLY Hannah Teeter! It was great!

7:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home