.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a goat-fish.

April 22, 2006

Epiphany on Hole 6


Flowed down Highway 1 to the CSUMB courses today. Shot +7 on the Oakes Course (par 4). Pretty raw round but good fun anyhow.

Lost my Dragon on hole six and spent much time looking for it…eventually came across it after 30 or so minutes.

Dubro and I are thinking about what’s missing in the disc golf universe. Trying to come up with that million dollar, retirement provoking idea that settles all matters of financial need now into the future.

So it hit me at six. Wouldn’t it be nice if it was easier to find your lost discs?

I imagine a circular, homing device no heavier than 3 grams and no larger than the diameter of a thimble. With a sticky adhesive you apply it to the underside of any disc. By simply pressing on it you activate a beacon signal…a buzz…or a beep…something not too annoying but effective in leading you to a lost disc. A similar system could include a flashing light. Brilliant!

Or….how bout an even thinner, lighter, stinkier idea.

What about sticky patches…..kind of like a scratch and sniff you don’t need to scratch…..and even smellier. You apply it to the underside of a disc. As you search for your discs with your eyes you also utilize your sense of smell as it guides you to your lost treasure. Maybe.

Obviously these tools are marketed primarily to the new/amateur/novice player but it could also draw any player who fears losing a prized disc.

I thought of a couple other genius ideas but I’ve probably already said too much. Someone is gonna take these ideas and make it theirs. Make millions. Retire. Enjoy life in more satisfying ways.

Yeah right! Dubro….you’re the only cat that reads my mess.

Later on I wound up losing the Dragon again, and this time for good….I spaced on it after an approach shot or something. Couldn’t find it anywhere….sacrificed it to the disc gods. Ended my round right then and there and called it quits for a day.

Still scratching my head wondering where the fuck it went.

Postscript: Traveled back for another around the next day. Ended +1 (four par). Felt better and more confident about the course and layout. Carried a -4 through Hole 15 but those vicious headwinds off the mighty pacific waters got the better of me thereafter. Still couldn't find the Dragon anywhere.

3 Comments:

Blogger turbonephew said...

I love reading your mess man.
Sorry to hear about the dragon.

The topic of disc golf seems to alienate cupini and bsa, so I'll answer your question here about borderland. It was fun. He had a great day and is interested in going back out. I had an amazing round. My best yet by far. I hit 3 20+foot approaches. and hit the top of the basket on two others. One of the shots was around a tree. I was on fire. It was the first time at borderland without any wind, and it was a nice day. And I managed to get a couple 8's on the holes I don't like, so my score evened out.
I used the drone exclusively. I love that disc.
My father only had about 2 good drives, but he felt good about it.
I'm planning to take him and my sister Ana out in a few weeks.
Where did you hear about wompatuck?

7:13:00 AM  
Blogger el Craplastico said...

They don't even know what they're missing. And the thing of it all is that Cupini lives four blocks away from Hellyer....a fucking cool county park course and the only one in San Jo.

Way to go man. Glad to hear the drone is serving you well. I have some more discs for you but I don't know if I will send them or bring them on my next journey. Feel free to give any I give to you to the new converts. I love flowing discs to people and oddly enough I find as many no-named discs as I buy. I only keep discs with no name on the back otherwise I try and get them back to their owner.

Finished four holes at my course and I'll post pics soon. Just a target course but unique and fun and why the hell not!

Heard about wompatuck off of NEFA.com. They need volunteers to help. Wish I could be out there every weekend till its done.

3-20 footers.....that's insane! We gotta build you a practice basket for the backyard. If you don't I will.

Will be home sometime between June 11th and July 7th....these are my shitty vacation times for this summer.

8:35:00 AM  
Blogger turbonephew said...

Well, after reading the stokely, I finally figured out why I like the Drone.
It's overstable for one thing.
Which means, it doesn't wobble as much for me. My sidearm drive has a lot more speed than spin, which is common for sidearms. And that combo makes for a lot o' wobble.
The other thing is that it has the best grip for sidearm, which I'm learning is different than backhand for comfort.

I'm stoked about stokely. If I lived by wompatuck, I would be there every weekend too. I just learned about a new course in central NH, it's almost an hour drive, but the same distance to borderland. Thank you NEFA. We just need one in southern NH now.

2:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home