.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a goat-fish.

June 26, 2009

journey of kings

Hope I'm never king! How compelling and often tragic are their journeys. If you are reading this post you've outlived the king of pop by one day or longer. There is no denying that Michael Jackson was one weird and controversial dude who also created some awesome magic while he was here. I won't cry or dance for him but I'll always appreciate his magic.

Another weird, eccentric king whose journey just gets wackier with time is Mike Tyson. Thinking of him cause I'm vegging on cable at a house sit. I've suspended my chip system while I'm here. Got absorbed by ESPN's airing of 'Mike Tyson's Greatest Hit Vol.2' What a fascinating collection of bouts that feature the fighter in his early years. Tyson landed 23 pro wins as a teenager...14 of those wins came by knock out in the first round. Tyson was entirely invincible and his wicked ability to crack you from his right or left rendered most opponents defenseless. Amazing to watch! He would lay a guy out and the poor dude never saw it coming.

Fast forward to today and Tyson is getting married days after his daughter dies and why judge him at all but you just get the feeling that this story is gonna end some day all messed up. The king's journey is for all to see and that's messy in itself.

It's an interesting aspect of human consciousness, trying to appreciate somebody's glory while looking past all their foibles. How to remember the king they wonder? Don't forget the magic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home